Sunday, April 25, 2010

Corn stuffed buns

"One a penny two a penny hot cross buns" was a nursey rhyme I hummed in my childhood days.What I remember evidently  is the picture next to the poem in the book, an English lady wearing  a cap and holding a basket overflowing with  round ball like bread. I happened to see buns which instantly reminded me of that picture carefully saved  in my memory. The  dutch name read " mini witte Bolletjes" meaning small white balls. I bought it (I dont know why? probably because it connected to me or may be  because it brought  back those lovely carefree childhood days).

When I was back home I wondered what to do with this bread  and this recipe evolved itself. On a sunny weekend afternoon V and I relished on these buns after a day's hard work in the garden

 I Used

Small round bread....Process the bread to make place for the filling as shown in the picture. One can cover the bread with lid or leave it open(like a bread basket).




For the filling:
1 finely chopped onion
1 cup corn canned or frozen
1 cup finely chopped mushroom
1/2 cup capsicum finely chopped.

Grated Cheese as much as you like

Paprika
Italian herbs
tomato ketchup
pepper
chilli saus/ tobasco sauce
1Spice cube
Salt

 2-3 spoons of oil 

Heat the oil, add the onions, when they turn soft add the capsicum followed by the mushrooms and the corn.When the veggies are cooked add the spices as per your taste and cheese.I used Gouda  and loads of it. Mushrooms, corn and cheese is one of my favourite combinations.


When the stuffing is ready fill it in the  bread and grill it in  the oven untill the base is crisp.For a more crispier version, I toasted the bread on a griddle before adding the stuffing and then bake again after adding the stuffing.This makes a lovely  brunch or even a party starter.

No comments: