Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Peas pattice

Green peas is one of my favorites and its often handy to be used when guests pop up. Peas pattice is easy to make and I often substitute peas with corn when available. I love the peas pattice back at Shree Krishna in Mahim, Mumbai and I framed my recipe guessing what probably was added in those yummy mouthwatering mutter pattice.
I used:
For the covering
Potatoes 5-6 : I always have boiled potatoes in my refrigerator as they are handy on a busy day.
Green chilies/ ginger/cumin seeds paste:1-2 tsps
Corrriander: finely chopped (as per taste)
Bread crumbs/ Maida: as per requirement for binding.
Salt.

For the filling:
Green peas: 1 cup (boiled with salt)
Onions finely chopped: 1-2
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder:1/4 tsp
Corriander & cumin seed powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala/ goda masala: 1 tsp ( I use whichever is in stock)
Corriander: as per availability
Ketchup: I add a dash of ketchup as it binds the peas and also gives unique tangy flavor.
Salt for taste.
Oil to cook the stuffing

Oil to fry the pattice

The Method

Add oil in the girdle and add cumin seeds, turmeric powder and onions. Fry until transluscent then add red chilli powder and the peas. Spice up with the remaining powders and finally add in the salt and ketchup. Mash the peas lightly with the back of the spoon so they would be easy to stuff.

Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing and place flat on the palm . Put a spoonful of stuffing and roll in the sides to make a ball. Flatten to a tikki shape , dip in crumbs and shallow fry or deep fry. You can serve with Ketchup/ chutney of your choice.
This made me yummy pattice……Next time I make these I will add a pic with a section of the pattice.

No comments: